Sunday, February 8, 2009

Rituals

Hey, folks.

First, thanks for reading. I don't have a lot of followers but I want everyone to know I appreciate your taking time to check me out.

That said; lets talk!

A lot of my friends are deep into technology. Many are early adopters of new gadgets and toys. They warn me of the demise of newspapers and books; how cds are passe and IPod's and other MP3 players will take over all our music needs. They tell me to stop my archaic habits and leap into the new world of one gadget does all.

I say to them...phtttttt!

I think that all this tech is wonderful but nothing can replace the need for tactile interaction with your entertainment.
People like to be involved with their fun.

It's great to be able to access thousands of news sources on the web. My readers know that I use all the resources I can to get ideas for my stories. And I have an ITunes account and love to find new stuff to download to my IPod.

But there is something richly rewarding about being able to sit and leisurely enjoy a book or newspaper. It forces you to perform a slow ritual; find a comfortable place, gather your materials (glasses, coffee, whatever), and settle in to read. Your mind shifts from frenetic processing of information to a calmer state. It allows the individual to move to a more personal place, free of outside pressure and demands.
Most people will leave you alone if they see you are engrossed in reading.

In music, it's great to have thousands of songs and artist available for immediate download. I find new groups and styles of music constantly.

But after a while, music becomes just so much background noise in our lives. The isolationism of the personal music player separates us from our environment and our companions. In some cases, that's a good thing (we all have that ass of a neighbor who we don't want to talk to). But then music becomes just a barrier, a wall; not fun anymore.

I think this explains the return of vinyl records. People want to get re-involved with music. They want to be forced to slow down the process of listening. They want to make playing songs a ritual; find a spot, set up the record player,immerse themselves in the music.

Just like reading.

People need to slow down.
They need to have a quiet place to focus on themselves.

We all need to be involved with ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment