Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mornin' folks. I'm back.

My wife says that for this blog to work, I need to make it a more personal statement about me and my life. I'm going to try but as I said in my first post, I not a very talkative individual.

It seems that the most consuming part of my life right now is the search for a job. I was laid off back in 2004 and deciding that I needed to expand my options,I went back to school. It seemed to take forever to finish my degree. I'll admit I got distracted along the way; working and living are more fun than school. But I managed to get it done, graduating with a degree in Computer Graphics. I thought that now I could write my own ticket and have a job with relative security. You know, computers being the way ALL things are done. And it started well. I had a few job interviews and thought the market looked promising. And then.... the world decided to screw with me AGAIN!

The economy began its decline, and jobs became few and far apart. More and more designers were losing their positions and becoming freelance designers (my name for the unemployed designer). Competition for not only jobs but independent work grew. Since I am a newbie, I don't have a large portfolio of published work to show. Designers with vast amounts of experience were having a hard time finding work so my small number of examples were lost in the dark.

I know I can do a great job if given the chance. I'll admit I'm not the greatest artist. But I bring more skills to the table than just my designs. I've been in the business world for a while, both as a consumer and as a salesperson. I think I have a good understanding of how to service a client and help them translate their idea from concept to reality. I can provide more to an employer than just design.

But there's the rub. You've got to get hired to show these skills. And right now, that's very, very tough.

But, I'll keep plugging along. I started this blog to help sharpen my writing and show my work to others. It's also a way to keep me sane (not that you'd know it if you met me). And I keep exploring options for work in other fields. As I said, I do have a fairly large skill set.

So I'll keep posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment