Thursday, January 29, 2009

Good mornin', everybody.

Here's something for you to ponder;
According to livescience.com, a British study shows that cows with names produce 3.4% more
milk than unnamed cows.
Now you have something to share with your friends and family. You can thank me later.

I am a serious fan of trivia. And, for good or evil, my computer provides me with a portal to a vast amount of it. I was probably better off before. Now I have access to such great quantities of B.S. that I am driving my family and friends nuts. My wife shakes her head and laughs and my kids are afraid to ask me a question, fearing I will go on and on about the subject. Too much of a good(?) thing.

I have a great thirst for knowledge. I love school. If I had the cash, I'd be a full time student, studying all the esoteric classes that college's offer. I'm not a big fan of math so science can be a challenge but I love language, arts, and philosophy. It would be great to have the time and money to go to school just for fun.

Unfortunately, college has become a trade school to so many students; a ticket to be punched for your career. I understand it. It is SO expensive for school that your return on investment has to be maximized. You need to make sure your education provides for you in the long run.

But wouldn't it be nice if, after you got your degree and started work, your college would offer you a chance to return just for fun. Just to take stuff that interested you. For free! I mean, you or your family just spent a ton of money at this school. How hard would it be for the school to let you back in to take something that's fun? I don't think there would be that many people who would take up the opportunity so overcrowding wouldn't be an issue. Most people are so sick of school, there would be a delay in students returning. A lot would never come back.

But there would be some. And think what an impact this could have on society. People could
learn about things that, while in school, they could not afford to study. I've found that sometimes knowing strange and unique thinks help in your day to day work.

There would be interaction between the working individuals and the students. This would bring outside experiences into the class room. Often there is a vast gap between what you learn in class and what happens when you're in the real world.

There would be networking opportunities, social interactions between generations, and a general enhancement of the knowledge base in society.

Sounds nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment