Sunday, September 20, 2009

Do You Write Right?


Hey, folks.

How's tricks?

An Associated Press article posted on 19 September, says that cursive writing is becoming a lost art and poses the question...... does it matter?

I'm not a very good cursive writer. I've spent so much time printing documents and filling in forms with print, that pretty much any skill I had in script is gone.

I try on occasion to rebuild my skills. I'll see some beautiful script in a letter or article and it will make me crave the ability to write like the author. So, I'll dig up some paper and make a feeble attempt to recreate what I've seen only to have my hopes dashed when I see how crappy I do.

I know...... practice, practice. The skills will come back and improve.

But I don't.

And it's a shame.

Because I'm a designer.

I use typography every day. I relish finding the right type style to fit my design. I love it when a type helps express the idea of my work. I think that's a common theme among my brethren, one of the things that separates us from the masses. We look at ALL the parts of a design in order to get our idea across, not just the pretty pictures.

So I propose a challenge to my fellow designers. Let's not let cursive script die. I know, we don't need it now that everything is done electronically. The computer offers us a world of type options.

But cursive writing is an art.

And those of us who live by the art of design, need to insure that this art survives.


Image courtesy:
www.jungleredwriters.com/.../cursive2-774480.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment