Friday, July 24, 2009

Rituals


Hi ya, readers!

What's up?

I was reading an article the other day and the writer was talking about how much he enjoyed the ritual of scotch drinking. Choosing the proper glass, just enough ice or water to bring out the flavor, choosing the appropriate scotch for the moment, and the slow, warming taste of a well crafted drink.
Made my mouth water.

And I thought.. how many rituals do we, as a modern people, incorporate into our lives?

I too, drink scotch and do enjoy the relaxing aspect of the proper drink. I also smoke the occasional cigar, which requires a great deal of preparation and equipment. (Cutters, lighters, ashtrays, etc.)

I find a comfort in these things.
They take time.
They require the participant to become actively involved in the moment.
And once you are involved, they force you to relax and savor life.

Women have their rituals as well.
The long, soaking bath. The manicure/pedicure/salon experience. The extended lunch for conversation and reflection. Some have even taken our scotch/cigar ritual for their own.

I think this shows a need for people to have fun points in their life. A reliable, comfortable act that is the same each time and provides a positive result for the person.
Something we can do that gives us happy feedback.

Tell me your rituals. How do you escape the sometimes monotonous lives we lead? Do you have any rituals or do you feel they are overrated?

Let's talk.


Image courtesy:
magazine.continental.com/.../scotch.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment